Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Thanksgiving with Nike

It wasn't all that many years ago when Nike grabbed the thawing turkey off the table on the back porch and tried to run off with it. I was in the house and I heard a loud THUNK!!! and then my dad roared like ... well, like a man whose turkey was stolen.

Dad recovered the turkey and was greatly dismayed by the four smooth puncture marks in it. He washed it off, probably scrubbed it with hydrogen peroxide and salt, too, just to make sure we wouldn't be tainted by any remnants of dog saliva.

And I was trying very, very hard not to laugh.

Dad, however, has been terribly conscientious about leaving meat out on table tops and counters ever since.

Nike, Turkey Thief and Ball Nabber Extraordinaire
This year, Nike did not steal any turkeys, but this girl at 13+, tottering like a happy drunk, stole the soccer ball from the young cousins and promptly popped it. My cousins sounded out the"whoooooooooosh" of the air being let out for me, several times.

I tried very, very hard not to laugh. But really, now, she can't run much faster than a four-year old. How did she end up with the ball in the first place? It's like they wanted her to pop it!


Who me? I would never!

3 comments:

Sandra said...

awww. She's absolutely precious. It must have been an open invitation for her to steal the turkey.

SD said...

Good girl Nike!!

Dom said...

I laughed and laughed. This is why I love dogs.